The International Accreditation Forum (IAF) and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) have produced a joint document that sets out a statement of outcomes that are to be expected as a result of accredited certification to all management systems standards.
Management system certification is frequently used in both private and public sectors to increase confidence in organizations’ operations, the products and services they provide, between partners in business-to-business relations, in the selection of suppliers in supply chains and in the right to tender for procurement contracts.
The intention of the document is that it promote a common view throughout the entire conformity assessment community in order to achieve these expected outcomes and thereby enhance the value and relevance of accredited certification.
In particular, it is to be expected that the organization:
- has a system which is appropriate for its organizational context and certification scope;
- has defined a policy appropriate for the intent of the specific management system standard and to the nature, scale and impacts of its activities, products and services over their lifecycles;
- is addressing risks and opportunities associated with its context and objectives;
- analyses and understands customer needs and expectations, as well as the relevant statutory and regulatory requirements related to its products, processes and services;
- ensures that product, process and service characteristics have been specified in order to meet customer and applicable statutory/regulatory requirements;
- has determined and is managing the processes needed to achieve the Expected outcomes intended by the management system standard;
- has ensured the availability of resources necessary to support the operation and monitoring of these products, processes and services;
- monitors and controls the defined product process and service characteristics;
- aims to prevent nonconformities, and has systematic improvement processes;
- has implemented an effective internal audit and management review process;
- is monitoring, measuring, analysing, evaluating and improving the effectiveness of its management system;
- has implemented processes for communicating internally, as well as responding to and communicating with interested external parties.
ISO CASCO “Expected outcomes for accredited certification to ISO management system standards”